Be Kind to Mother Earth This Holiday Season!
October 30, 2017
Can it possibly be that the holiday season is almost here? That holiday shopping is already top of mind for millions of people? Wasn’t the 4th of July only yesterday? So what better time than right now to share some thoughts about mindfulness in giving this year? How can we all show our love in ways other than “buying and wrapping” our way through this holiday season?
First, a few sobering facts on holiday waste:
- From Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, household waste increases by more than 25%. Added food waste, shopping bags, packaging, wrapping paper, bows and ribbons all add up to an additional 1 million tons a week to our landfills.
- In the U.S., annual trash from gift-wrap and shopping bags totals 4 million tons.
- An estimated 2.6 billion holiday cards are sold each year in the United States, enough to fill a football field 10 stories high. Electronic holiday greeting cards, offered through a variety of websites, are a convenient, no-cost, waste-free alternative.
- If every family reused just two feet of holiday ribbon, the 38,000 miles of ribbon saved could tie a bow around the entire planet.
- At least 28 billion pounds of edible food are wasted each year - equating to over 100 pounds per person.
- Half of the paper America consumes is used to wrap and decorate consumer products.
Here's the good news: You can change all that by being a part of the solution and by asking others to do the same! Gift certificates to locally owned restaurants and points of interest top the list. No wrapping, no ribbons, no waste and TONS of fun. And how about planning an event with family and friends? Like an evening of bowling, a Saturday shopping trip or a potluck where the only gifts are of the “white elephant” kind and will bring lots of fun and laughter?
Please consider gifting with intention and love this year and doing so by supporting local businesses and cutting down on waste big time.
Article provided courtesy of Mrs. Green's World.